Volume 19, Issue 1 (5-2005)                   Med J Islam Repub Iran 2005 | Back to browse issues page

XML Print

Digestive Research Centel; Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Imam Khomeini Hospital, Tehran. , rayenil 3@yahoo.com
Abstract:   (4896 Views)


 Background: Combination therapy with interferon and ribavirin is the most effective treatment for chronic hepatitis C today. The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of thrice-weekly Heberon (interferon alfa-2b) in combination with ribavirin as first -line treatment of chronic hepatitis C.

 Methods: A total of97 treatment-naive patients received Heberon three million units thrice-weekly subcutaneously in combination with ribavirin for 12 months. Serum HCV RNA levels were measured before and during therapy and 6 months after the end of therapy. End-of-treatment and sustained virological responses was defmed as an undetectable HCV-RNA level at the end of treatment, and 6 months after treatment was completed (end of follow-up), respectively.

 Results: In an intent-to-treat analysis, HCV-RNA was undetectable at the end of treatment in 49.5% of patients. At the end of follow-up, sustained virological response was 36.1 %. Combination treatment was generally well tolerated. Six patients stopped therapy because of side effects: severe cytopenia (n=4), depression (n=1), and hyperthyroidism (n= 1 ). Common side effects of therapy include: Flu-like syndrome (85.6%), generalized alopecia (41.2% ), injection site inflammation (37.1% ), mood changes (36% ), anorexia (34%) and weight loss (32% ).

 Conclusion: Heberon as an IFN product in combination with ribavirin for treat-ment of patients with chronic hepatitis Cis relatively safe, feasible, and potentially efficacious. It has comparable results in achieving end-of-treatment and sustained virological responses in chronic hepatitis C.

Full-Text [PDF 5812 kb]   (1138 Downloads)