Volume 18, Number 2 (9-2004)                   Med J Islam Repub Iran 2004 | Back to browse issues page


XML Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

NOORBAKHSH S, ASHTIANI F, RIMAZ S, BAKHSHAYESH M. MUMPS MENINGOENCEPHALITIS IN PEDIATRIC WARD OFRASOOLAKRAMHOSPITAL IN TEHRAN, IRAN, 1999-2000. Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2004; 18 (2) :123-126
URL: http://mjiri.iums.ac.ir/article-1-629-en.html

From the Department of Pediatrics. Rasool Akram Hospital. Iran University of Medical Sciences,. Tehran,l.R.lran. , saminoor@hbi.dmr.or.ir
Abstract:   (2186 Views)
To determine the frequency of mumps infection in children hospitalized with aseptic meningoencephalitis ( ME), as well as its correlation with parotiditis, this case-series study was conducted in the pediatric ward ofRasool Akram Hospital in Tehran, Iran, from 1 999 to 2001. T he blood samples of these patients were tested for specific IgM antibody for mumps by Elisa method. The results of this study showed that 62.7% of children with ME were IgM positive, and the remaining (37.3%) were IgM negative. There was a significant correlation between positive IgM and the presence of parotiditis. However, no correlation was noted between age, sex and season with IGM positivity except for CSF changes (aseptic meningitis) between the two groups. It can be concluded that the presence of neural symptoms (especially aseptic meningitis) in children less than 7 years of age with parotiditis could indicate mumps ME, especially in the spring. Due to a higher percentage of unvaccinated young persons « 15yr old) in Iran, probably the incidence rate of mumps infection and its sequelae are higher compared with its incidence in developed countries before massive vaccination. Therefore with massive vaccination ofIranian young people « 20yr old), the costs of mumps infection and its sequelae will decrease.
Full-Text [PDF 334 kb]   (725 Downloads)    

Send email to the article author