Volume 14, Number 3 (11-2000)                   Med J Islam Repub Iran 2000 | Back to browse issues page


XML Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

RAHBAR M, LAMEI A, GHAZI-SAIDI K. IMPORTANCE OF CATALASE ENZYME IN VIRULENCE OF ISONIAZID RESISTANT ST RAINS OF MYCOBACTERIUM TUBERCULOSIS IN GUINEAPIGS. Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2000; 14 (3) :293-295
URL: http://mjiri.iums.ac.ir/article-1-868-en.html

the School of Medicine, Department of Microbiology, Urumieh University of Medical Sciences
Abstract:   (1628 Views)
In this study, twenty-five strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis resistant to isoniazid (INH) were isolated from patients with tuberculosis (TB). Nine strains (36%) were found to be virulent in guinea-pigs [root index virulence (RIV» 1 ]. The remaining sixteen strains (64%) were non-virulent (RIV <1). Of the nine strains resistant to INH as well as virulent to guinea-pigs, eight of them were found to be catalase positive and only one strain was catalase negative, whereas the remaining sixteen INH resistant strains were catalase negative. A strong association was observed between INH resistance and catalase positivity and virulence (p<0.0001 chi-square test). This study supports the hypothesis that catalase has an important role in the virulence of INH-resistant strains of M tuberculosis.
Full-Text [PDF 112 kb]   (639 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Original Research | Subject: Microbiology and Anatomy